Friday, May 13, 2016

My Entrepreneurship Story

     I was never exposed to entrepreneurship or the entrepreneurial spirit until my senior year of high school.  Other than the occasional thought of some say running my own CPA firm or Wealth Management firm I had not put much thought or been exposed to becoming an entrepreneur.  Then I remember my mom continuously mentioning that she had got sick of working in the insurance industry and that eventually she wanted to run her own bakery or something along those lines.  Then she brought us by this restaurant one day for a meal and then within 6 months she purchased the restaurant.  This may not seem like the usual course of an entrepreneur, but I have seen my mom develop and grow in all aspects of the business, from communication to effectively allocating resources.  She will do whatever is necessary between all the financials to cooking behind the line, and serving an occasional table when necessary.  At the end of the day, she showed me how a dream can develop into a reality with hard work, motivation and focus, which are trait that most entrepreneurs exhibit in my opinion.
Mom's Restaurant on Cape Cod - Route 6A

     To be honest, I enrolled in ENT 3003 at first for a grade booster class.  As I have started these assignments, I have found that I really enjoy doing them, and the less emphasis on the grading has actually helped me enjoy the class even more.  My goal before I graduate changed as well recently where I had to fill in my schedule over the next three semesters with four electives.  So, this class also came in highly recommended from a friend of mine who is working on his Masters in Entrepreneurship right now.  Overall, I hope to gain feedback on posts that can help me develop personally and professionally.  Also I want to be able to learn things that can someday help me possibly open up my own CPA firm someday.

3 comments:

  1. Michael - Your mother took a big leap of faith in herself to shift from the insurance industry to owning and running her own restaurant. She seems like a hard worker who welcomes challenge, which are characteristics to be admired. I can see she has been an inspiration to you, and I also find the story inspirational.
    This class is required in my curriculum, and I was slightly apprehensive about the nature of the assignments as several of the things we will be doing are out of my comfort zone. I value the opportunity to step out of my comfort zone. This is how we grow, which is illustrated nicely in the story of your mother's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome story! I love the restaurant that your mom owns, it looks so cute. How awesome that you're able to be a part of that great lifestyle change that she had. I think we're all going to really get something substantial out of the assignments in this class. I, too, chose this class as a random elective but am excited to see where it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! Good for your mother. She is an excellent example of how we should live life. She did not want to keep going something that she dislike and she start focusing on her goals and it worked very well. Also, the restaurant looks very nice. We can all accomplish anything we just need to know what we want to do and work hard for it. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete