Saturday, May 14, 2016

Bug List

1.     When I use the wet mop swiffer pads on my floor (because I have to get the dirt out), it takes more than ten minutes to dry and I'm stuck wherever I finished.

WHY:  I have to wait at least 10 mins for my floors to dry, otherwise I will get them dirty again from my socks or the bottom of my feet.  Therefore, I am stuck in my house wherever I finish "swiffering," but I still have other things to do.  I just wish they would dry faster but still remove just as much dirt.

2.     After a working a double shift at where I work (OAK) I hate when all my cash bills do not face in the same direction and are crinkly, because the atm machine then has problems taking the deposit.

WHY: I prefer order in my life and when I have to take multiple tries to deposit my cash at the ATM because of this issue then my scooter turns off and I have to get start it again.  Overall, it take me longer to get home.  

3.     When I fold all my clothes right after the dryer, put them away, and then a few days later I take them out and they have wrinkles/creases still.  

WHY: I should not have to iron all my clothes after folding them.  It can be due to the fact that I am not folding it the proper way in order to decrease such issues.

4.     Since I am always running around it bugs me not knowing the level of gas I have left in my scooter. All I have is a light.

WHY: There is no gas gauge, only a light on my scooter.

5.     Our dishwasher, takes an extremely long time to wash, and especially dry the dishes, which is frustrating when we have only a limited number of dishes.

WHY: It is a slightly older washer but with hi-temp wash and dry the technology does not get the job done fast enough for us.

6.     It bugs me that I have to tie my shoes when I'm in a hurry to get out the door for work, class, and just in general.

WHY: It takes me too long to bend over and then make sure they are laced up the right way (I have one-way laces), so this just is a time issue.

7.     It bugs me when the dishes are not organized correctly, where certain dishes end up on top of others.  

WHY: This then results in them not getting cleaned, especially when they are not rinsed out before hand, and makes it more difficult to clean afterward because everything is then caked on.

8.     Slightly personal, but it drives me crazy that I have to make three separate trips to the pharmacist to fill my prescription even though I only have to meet with my doctor once every three months and they are allowed to write a prescription for each of those three months before hand.

WHY: Because regulations are in place in the first place to even getting a prescription and the number of months you can get pre-written, but then there is more regulation on top of that to restrict amounts at one time.

9.     In general, but especially during finals when people think it is absolutely reasonable to talk on a designated "quiet study" floor in Library West.

WHY:  If people are going to talk they should go to the non-quiet study floors in my opinion.

10. When I am done making burgers or something else greasy on a pan, and then not be able to scrub it off with the sponge I have available, and then having to wait for it to soak. 

WHY: It is difficult to get encrusted crud off of pan especially when there are restrictions to what you can scrub a non-stick pan with.

11. It bugs me when I am in my apartment and my room gets hot so I turn down the A/C but then my other roommate will turn it up because his room is much colder.

WHY: His room only has one outside wall with shade cover while I have two and the A/C thermostat is in the main living room.  Why can't there be a system with one in each room?

12. When I don't shave for more than four days and then have to shave, it is such a pain.  

WHY: My skin also is guaranteed to become irritated when I haven't saved and then do.  The irritation looks bad and itches.  

13. It bugs me that I always have to kick start my scooter.

WHY: The electric start doesn't always work and even when I replace the fuses they do not last long.  

14. This is broad but it bugs me that we hear and know about all the lobbyists for everything that is bad (alcohol, firearms, tobacco), but there are no lobbyists for global warming.

WHY: If people can lobby for something bad, why can't people with the same level of lobbying success, lobby for global warming and clean energy.

15. It drives me crazy that there are too many fouls called but so few violations, such as traveling, called in the NBA.

WHY:  The fouls and violations called are part of the basics of teaching someone how to play basketball.  They always say don't travel and play hard, which seems counter-intuitive.

16. When I work at OAK and it isn't too busy and my food takes longer than 20 minutes to get to my table.

WHY: I am trying to deliver excellent customer service on my end, and when that is impeded with, especially when the restaurant looks slow, it makes it harder for me to earn tips.

17. It bugs me that some people just don't tip when they eat out.  

WHY: Don't eat out unless you have enough money to tip, and don't be stingy especially when you pay cash ($100 bill) and tip nothing despite calling me over to hand me the bill and tell me how I did such a great job.

18. It bugs me when my phone alarm is going off but no sound is coming out of my phone.

WHY: My phone is not on silent is responsible for making a noise to wake me up and when it does not do that it is frustrating.

19. It bugs me when I try to make plans with someone and they take more than hour to respond.  

WHY: If you don't want to make plans then text me right back saying you're busy.

20. Whenever I'm driving, especially on my scooter, and people do not use their turn signals to switch lanes or turn right.

WHY: They catch me off guard and can cause and accident.

21. Flossing my teeth bugs me even though I know it helps keep my teeth healthy.

WHY: It takes time and I am usually tired and ready to go to sleep.

Reflection:
As I look back at this exercise I wish I had started it earlier because once I watched the video in class, I agree that the task becomes easier and more is taken away from it through listing 4-5 bugs a day with the corresponding why's.  Coming up with the bugs did not bother me and wasn't too difficult, I just felt that I was coming up with simple things that did not have multiple why's with a true root problem that I could solve.  Otherwise, this task opened my eyes to many problems, and taught me a base that I can use if I decide to one day open my own company, or sell my own product/idea.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with many of your "bugs" and your number 11 really sticks out. There was one roommate I lived with who would always turn down the A/C so the apartment was freezing and the sun was always shining right into my room so it would feel really cool and night and really warm in the morning. I wish there was a way to personalize A/C units for each room. I agree with you that coming up with things that bother me was not very difficult and I did not realize how many things bother me throughout the day. I found this exercise helpful to come up with "bugs" that may hinder a future business from succeeding and to come up with solutions to those problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I really enjoyed reading your bug list. Even though you found your bugs to be simple and lack multiple "whys," all of your bugs are very relevant. I could relate to almost every bug you listed. I too wish I had started the assignment sooner, I struggled to find depth in each of my bugs, but I found that the things that truly bother me tend to fall back on people and the things they lack to do. For instance, number 20 drives me absolutely insane, but I didn't feel as though I could add it to my list because it falls back on human error. After reading your list, I realized that even though the things that bug me tend to be caused by other people, things can still be created to solve the problems people create.

    ReplyDelete