Sunday, July 24, 2016

Celebrating Failure

Celebrating Failure
I fail at many things that I want to do.  Not in a bad way, but because I try to form too many habits at once or try to hold myself to unrealistic standards.  Early on, in this class, I would save all my assignments until the end of the week and fail at doing them.  My schedule puts the assignments behind others because of the due dates are Sunday night versus Friday night for my other class’ assignments.  Then because I usually work every day on the weekend, I end up being “too tired” or do not manage my time well enough to where I freak out, start to worry, and never get the assignment done on time.  For example, earlier this year I chose to go to dinner with family instead of finishing my assignment as a means of procrastination which ended up causing me to miss the deadline.  Instead as the especially these last few weeks, I have to look at the assignments at a minimum in the beginning of the week to make sure I let ideas swirl around in my head.  This has led me to complete mostly if not all of my assignments the past few weeks.
 Through all of this I learned of another strategy to combat my failure in completely these assignments.  Recently, one of my roommates moved out and took the bar stools and table and chairs with him.  This has left me with a leather couch and recliner to sit on to do any work.  Whenever I sit in the recliner to do work I realized it takes a while to finish assignments of mine.  Then I thought why don’t I try standing up like the students at the law library do, which I thought was so strange.  I wrote my whole venture concept standing up this week.  It helped my productivity and focus.  I learned through my failures that I now do work better standing up.   
Failure is hard.  It is difficult.  It something we have to learn how to deal with and we all deal with in different ways.  I personally, especially when I was growing up I internalized a lot of failure.  I kept it to myself and was always hard on myself for failing.  As I have grown up I realize that doing so, is pointless.  It is counterproductive.  If I fail I have to see the positives.  Once you fail, it is in the past and it might repeat itself in the future but you can make adjustments or challenge yourself and be more prepared to handle failure next time.  In relation to this class it has helped me deal with failure.  There are some assignments I wish I had taken the time to do, but that is in the past I try to just focus on the assignments now.  Also I realize that everyone fails and it is not a singular type of event.  This class overall, has helped me overcome failure and see that there is only room for improvement.    

No comments:

Post a Comment