Saturday, June 18, 2016

Halfway Reflection



1.      So far this course is interesting to me in different facets.  I t is interesting because I honestly did not know what to expect at first, so the layout and the format of the course is interesting and it fosters more creativity than I thought it could.  With that being said, if one is not tenacious mentally, then this course presents problems.  One must be able to appropriately manage the time needed to complete each individual assignment, and the course continuously tests one’s idea, by taking criticism and approval.  For me I have become more tenacious through this course as time has gone on.  I have realized that whether you complete the assignment early or at the last minute, one key is looking ahead.  If one looks at the assignment early ideas are able to float around in your head, creating ideas and it makes the assignment easier to complete especially if exterior conflicts arise and one must complete the assignment at the last second.  I would also say that watching the lectures helps me keep up with the course.  This is because the lectures add a level of interaction, despite being through an impersonal media connection, that helps explain questions I’ve had and gives rise to more ideas in relation to the individual assignments.  As well, I have learned more about the entrepreneurial process through the lectures, which is in conjunction with the assignments.  All of these ideas help finish the assignments and help me stay up to date with the course.
2.            There have definitely more than one instance in which I wanted to give up in this class.  For example, even though I am a waiter I still have difficulty going to people for feedback on an idea even with my own family and me knowing it is for school.  When I was completing Testing My Opportunity Hypothesis Part 1, I just did not want to do the interviews.  I told myself and just made myself start the assignment.  That sounds simple, but procrastination usually exists before that assignment or chore has been started.  Once started, and as we finish individual parts, we as humans feel a sense of accomplishment which helps us push through the task.  This is why I just forced myself to start the assignment.  Once I finished one interview I told myself that I was already 20% done and I could make it the other 80% of the way and finish the assignment.  Otherwise in regards to developing a tenacious mindset, I believe I have developed different facets of a tenacious mindset. It might be self-involved but I believe that regularly I have a tenacious mindset but involving many aspects that do not involve school, like my job.  From this class, I have developed a more tenacious mindset to combat my procrastination and imaginary mindset.  Other than the example I previously mentioned, the due dates and constant classwork with weekly due dates has forced me to stay up to date with the class which is usually very difficult for me with other online classes.  Also I have always considered myself as a rigid thinker, and definitely not as an individual who thinks outside the box.  The Bug List assignment really opened up my mindset and thinking.  It made me realize that thinking of ideas or being an entrepreneur has nothing to do with thinking outside the box.  It made me realize that it was more about thinking about problems that people face and then identifying five whys to why that problems exists to find the root cause of that problem, and then setting out to solve that root cause. This is how I have improved the imaginary tenacity of my mindset during this class
3.
Fostering skills that that foster tenacity
Do not procrastinate.  Assignments will get done quicker and ideas will be fostered better if the assignment is done sooner.  It will help better ideas come to mind.
Sit down and plan your week out around the assignments with this class.  This will allow you to allocate the appropriate time needed and if you are on a time crunch it forces you to know when you must finish the assignment by.
Look ahead.  Yes, like previously mentioned plan for the week, but don’t narrow mindedly get stuck in the current week.  Thinking ahead allows you to foster better ideas and be better prepared for the class.

Developing a tenacious mindset
Don’t give up.  It will make you stronger.  If you give up on one assignment, you will be sure to do it again.
Take the comments that people post seriously.  This will help improve your ideas and be better prepared to hear constructive criticism.

Lastly, try your best.  That sounds cliché, but you never know what you may think of.  This class, at least will help become a better thinker and develop a tenacious mindset. For that to occur, you have to try your best and put all your effort into every assignment.   

3 comments:

  1. Michael,
    This class is definitely different. There is a lot more assignments than I expected and procrastination is a definite reoccurring issue with me. However, I do agree that this class tests one's boundaries and it pushes you to do something that you would normally not want to do. I think giving up is always going to be apart of taking classes but we all face the issue. Just thinking of the end goal always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,

    I definitely agree with you that time management and taking things seriously is a huge part of this class. Its difficult to find the time and sometimes the motivation to complete the assignments in their entirety because they push you out of your comfort zones. As long as you set goals for yourself and take the assigned time then it works out nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, I completely agree with you that this class is very different. I have found it very difficult to find people to interview, especially with how long the interviews have to be. Ive unfortunately I have missed a few of the assignments, but I would love change that. Keep up the good work in this class!

    ReplyDelete